Crawfords Spring 2017 Trip

Post your plans to fly and reports about the flying here...
Rick M
USHPA Rating: H4

Crawfords Spring 2017 Trip

Postby Rick M » Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 pm

I'd like to make a trip to Randolph, UT to fly the Crawfords and it would be fun to get a group together.

Given my schedule I'm looking to go for a long weekend around the May 20-21 weekend. This is the weekend before Memorial Day weekend.

This site is great for PG and HG. If you've never been I highly recommend it. It's common for glass smooth ridge soaring flights most evenings and great thermal flights midday. We camp on the ridge and the little town of Randolph has gas, a small grocery, and a good burger joint with awesome shakes. Bear lake is 20 miles to the north straddling the UT/ID border.

For new pilots, this is a great site to rack up a few hours in the smooth evening air.

And no mosquitos in May. They generally kick in (badly) in early June through August.
Rick
H4 (FL - ST - FSL - AT - TUR) - U2 160
SPOT: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... u2iST01KJP

mchevalier

Re: Crawfords Spring 2017 Trip

Postby mchevalier » Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 pm

I knew it would have to be that weekend. I can't go, not at all, no way.
Staring at it won't fix it. Beer won't either but sometimes the can is useful.

BobK

Postby BobK » Fri May 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Hey Rick,
JW and I have been talking about a Crawfords trip, but I don't think he has any availability in May. I'm sure he'll confirm or not on this thread. I'd like to do it, but I haven't yet begun to look at getting a H/G vehicle. My MDX probably won't be able to make it up the hill so I'm at the mercy of whoever goes.
BobK

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Postby jj » Fri May 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Not sure if I will be able to make that weekend or not, but flying the Crawfords in May is great. We should be able to get enough people going to where you should be able to find a space for your wing.

If not, the road up to launch at the Crawfords is gravel but pretty mild incline. Last time I went a 2WD could readily make it all the way to launch.

Here is a 90 second video of a 90 minute nice flight there.

Great place to fly. NOTE: If you haven't flown there ask people about protocols LZs etc. The land owners there are nice to let us land in their fields but they want us to drive 10mph when driving through their property so we don't kick up dust etc. At times their may be cows grazing in the fields. Make sure you don't annoy the cows when landing or you may have trouble with the owners. And avoid landing in any field that has just one "cow" in it. ;)
Last edited by jj on Sun May 07, 2017 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Chazz
USHPA Rating: H2

Postby Chazz » Sat May 06, 2017 12:28 pm

I made it up in a Nissan Altima, but it's a little rough. I'll think about going that or some weekend depending on the weather. (two good days in forecast)
Chris Summers

Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu May 11, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm in for that weekend if the weather looks good.

Mountain
USHPA Rating: H2

Postby Mountain » Fri May 12, 2017 10:07 am

I'm down to go that weekend.

Pete F

Postby Pete F » Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 am

I'm going to try and make the trip.

HangDiver

Postby HangDiver » Sat May 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Hopefully you guys will have nice weather. Doesn't look like I'm gonna make it this year. Bummed.

Rich J.

HangDiver

Postby HangDiver » Mon May 15, 2017 10:22 am

Ok change of plans. I'll be going up to Crawfords and will be available to fly on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, May 24th and 25th. I'll be camping up at Bear Lake most of that week. If you want to meet up to fly, Give me a ring at: seven one nine, 358-three four two four.

Rich J.

BobK

Postby BobK » Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 pm

I guess nobody told the Crawfords area that it's almost summer, this week's forecast looks pretty chilly and snowy. RickM, any thoughts about your plans? I'd still like to go to there maybe early June, but I've never been there in skeeter season so I don't know how sucky that is.

Rick M

Postby Rick M » Mon May 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Saturday is still looking great. Sunday and Monday still look flyable though there may be some rain part of the day.

I've been watching the forecast for the last few days and of course it keeps changing due to being so far out yet.

I'm still hopeful that the Crawfords will work this coming weekend and I'm still planning to go. Of course I'll make my final decision at the end of the week.

It looks like we are going to have a lot of NW flow this weekend which is bad for Colorado so Crawfords may be the only option any way. It doesn't need to be clear and sunny for 72 straight hours for it to be flyable there each day.

Stay tuned.
Rick

Rick M

Postby Rick M » Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Ugh. It seems half the time I want to go to the Crawfords there is a snow storm.

Laramie is forecasted to get 13"-23" Thur and Fri. Cheyenne nearly the same. Might even be a few inches here in Denver Friday.

And Randolph has some potential for some rain. Saturday still looks good. Sunday has the highest chance of rain but it could be flyable for a few hours here and there during the day. Monday could have some good flying as well.

I haven't given up hope yet but if I do go it probably won't be until Saturday due to the snow storm. I'll update later in the week but if it seems worth it I'm planning to leave early Saturday and fly Sat, Sun, and Mon and probably head home Mon or Tue.

This weekend looks bad for Colorado too. Lots of north winds, snow, and rain most of the weekend.
Rick

BobK

Postby BobK » Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am

Yeah, Rick, we put the snow gear away just last week and, you know what that means, snow storm. Our bad ;) Anyway, Saturday might work out, but the rest of the time is not looking worth driving 6+ hours. I'd still like to get up there, so maybe early June will work out for some. BTW, what winds work best there, something like W-NW, 10-15mph?
Bob

Rick M

Postby Rick M » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am

This weekend looks too iffy for me to make the drive. Saturday will probably be really good. Sunday will probably be a day of watching an ugly sky and getting wet on and off all day. Monday might be OK. Looking back over the years, I haven't had a lot of luck with a spring trip out there. The fall tends to work out better. In fact, I haven't flown the Crawfords in the spring since 2008 but I've flown there in the fall almost every year.

Next weekend, for what the long term forecast is worth at this point, might be the winner. But of course I can't go next weekend. And early June I'll be flying in a comp in Wisconsin. So the Crawfords will have to wait until the late summer/early fall for me.

The ideal wind direction is WNW. W - NW works. If you see the forecast showing mid-teens, it will be cranking on launch 20+ due to compression.
Rick

Return to “Flight Plans & Reports”