Easter Sunday

Post your plans to fly and reports about the flying here...
Steve Ford
USHPA Rating: H4, OB

Easter Sunday

Postby Steve Ford » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:23 am

Bunch of folks are at Villa.

Mike Badley and I are meeting Matt at Williams for the early afternoon flight. Won't be the Williams home opener....... somebody flew it last weekend..... BTW, only the road to Lower is open. Too much snow on road to upper.

SF
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .

— Antoine de St-Exupéry

Mitchell lemieur
USHPA Rating: P4

Re: Easter Sunday

Postby Mitchell lemieur » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Hey Steve,
How did it go? Do you think it would have been pretty sport for us jellyfish(PG) guys? Do you anticipate the snow will be melted near upper shortly or likely a few more weeks? Thanks for heads up.

Steve Ford
USHPA Rating: H4, OB

Postby Steve Ford » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:53 am

yes too sporty for PG on Sunday at Williams. broken lift with strong, punchy 1/2 to 1/4 turn bullets mixed in. 'seemed to be much more high pressure suppressed than the forecast indications suggested it would be.

Forecast didn't hold as much as I would have liked; cirrus moved in early than expected. Nonetheless, we all flew with Matt and Mike getting to 10 and 11K respectively. I had a challenging flight where the highlight was scratching at 300 AGL in bubbles that were giving me 14 to 20 ft/min on a 30 second averager at the second sandhill east of the postage stamp..... then a no wind landing that turned into a tailwind when I was in ground effect in the postage stamp. Pulled it of but lost style points for putting the basetube down. 'was good to get the first flight on the MastR in for 2017 after having been flying the single surface occasionally since January.

The later day winds were all virga driven and I think Matt experienced the beginnings of that when he was driven down in sink that wouldn't let him glide to the lake so he had to land in the sagebrush between the dinosaur and the lake. That is big sink! I suspect that the falling air preceding the virga cycles that eventually formed were the culprit.

Pretty day among the other positive outcomes; and high on the list of positives for me was the complete lack of blood sucking insects - a rarity in spring at Williams, particularly when it turns L&V on the ground.

As far as Upper launch opening, I suspect that it will be sometime after May 1st, but I didn't drive up to see. The storm system coming in Thurs/Fri is expected to drop snow on the higher elevations.

SF
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .

— Antoine de St-Exupéry

John W

Postby John W » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Nice flight Steve. Sorry I missed it.

I doubt Williams upper will be open before Memorial Day. That's the usual date.
JW

I love the sound of battens in the morning.

Wills Wing U2 160, Flight Designs GhostBuster, Airwave Klassic 166, UP Axis 15, WW Sport 167, UP Comet II 185 USHPA# 42029

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Postby jj » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Well Villa gave it up Easter Sunday... a little.

Saturday we (except for Ann who had a great flight Sat) missed the morning cook so we saddled up and headed to launch at 8:30 Sunday, and it paid off. The Villa morning cook has an emphasis on morning. Many people miss it by stretching morning to be closer to noon. Jack got his PG set up and launched around 9:45. Caught one small thermal, then started to head out in sink, then he caught another along the road and came down an hour or two later, when he darn well felt like it (cause his finger were getting cold up there). The rest of us got off between 10 and 10:30. I got an extended sledder with quite a few turns in tiny thermals, getting up on the fronts and losing the gains on the back sides. But I stuck my landing, and a no stepper at Villa always puts a smile on your face. Kim had a slightly longer flight and nailed her landing in the smallish "old" lz (it is nice landing af ew steps away from the camper van). Rick got 45+ and came down because he wanted to save something for heading up again. He could have easily stayed up a lot longer, and yeah, he had a great landing too.

We went back up for afternoon flights, along with Mike. You could tell it was on when we arrived at launch due to the dead silence while setting up. No banter, just get rigged and worry about jabber later. The silence put a smile on my face as it was indicative of who I was up there with and everyones focus on not missing the launch window. There was concern that we might get shut out with a cross from the WNW as happened Saturday, so as soon as I was rigged I took the first launchable cycle. The rest soon followed. Rich and Randy got to launch as we were heading off and consequently missed the launchable window. But while Kim, Mike and I got shorter flights with swithcy wind landings, Rick managed to take one of the tiny snot rockets up for a longer flight.

Not an epic day, but a fun day that was cactus free due to great landings. Cactus free, early season at Villa! Wow.
Enjoyed hanging out and getting early flying season takeoffs, turns, and landings in. Looking forward to much more of it.

Mitchell lemieur
USHPA Rating: P4

Postby Mitchell lemieur » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:39 am

Thanks guys. Glad to hear of decent flights and more importantly(especially for you intrepid delta guys) safe landings.

Return to “Flight Plans & Reports”