towing with Sean in AZ next weekend

Courses & clinics offered...
scotts
USHPA Rating: P4

towing with Sean in AZ next weekend

Postby scotts » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:09 am

I'm planning to drive down to AZ for some towing sessions with Sean of AZ Paragliding. http://www.azparagliding.com/
If you haven't seen it, here's the link to Sean's world record tow (10,400' AGL!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4jcRsnhcAk

If you don't have your tow rating, Sean charges $100 to get it, which is what I'm planning on doing. Not sure what the per tow charge is thereafter, but my plan is to tow Fri-Sun and practice collapses on my newer B wing to prep for Colombia. Might fly South mountain as well, or wherever the local pilots are flying when I'm down there. They post up plans here: http://www.azhpa.org/

Its 800 miles drive down (1.5 days for me). I will probably leave wed 9th or thurs 10th and get back tues or wed 12/15 or 12/16. wouldn't mind an extra person or two to join in the drive with my minivan. probably camp in the desert... email me at efax1007 at yahoo if you might be interested and we can nail down the dates. weather depending, as always...

might also zip over to torrey pines, or other so.cal sites for a few days since its just another 350 miles or so...
Scott S.
P4; skywalk Chilli3S; Mesa, AZ of all places!
Get busy living!

Ed Williams

Re: towing with Sean in AZ next weekend

Postby Ed Williams » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:19 am

Sweet plan.

scotts

Postby scotts » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 am

except for the weather. not convincing. May try again for next weekend but it looks like winter is coming starting tomorrow and a few waves are lined up for more next week too...
Scott S.
Get busy living!

scotts

Postby scotts » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:22 pm

if forecast holds for this weekend, I'll be heading out tomorrow and back no later than christmas eve. san diego side trip early next week time and weather permitting...
Scott S.
Get busy living!

scotts

Postby scotts » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Towing today was great today! Sean is a master at this and this location is really perfect for towing! light surface winds made for easy reverse launch and tow to over 5000' (4000 agl). Plenty of altitude for all the maneuvers practice I came for. The Chili behaved nicely as expected. More of the same tomorrow then got to cut it short and get back home to spend time with all my girls for the holidays! :D
Scott S.
Get busy living!

scotts

Postby scotts » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Sunday was even better. Started out with low cloudbase and lots of moisture around, rare for these parts. Sean towed us right up to cloudbase, even alittle above, to about 3000 agl. I did my 5 asymetrics on each side, followed by 5 frontals, then zipped back to a thermal I went thru while on tow. It was still there, and I took it all the way back up to cloudbase and toured around the clouds for a beautiful, fun, 40 min. thermal flight! super fun. My last tow, I was done with collapse practice and instead pinned off in a thermal at 3500 agl and eventually climbed to over 5300' asl and toured around in a awesome mostly clear cloudless sky for a 45 mins. thermal flight. Was a great end to a great weekend. Highly recommend towing in the Rainbow Valley with Sean. Flight logs posted on paragliderforum if interested: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonard ... akeoff:all
Scott S.
Get busy living!

Ed Williams

Postby Ed Williams » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:23 am

$weet!

Return to “Courses & Clinics”