Good on Those Doing SIV/Maneuvers!!!

Courses & clinics offered...
jjhildebrand1
USHPA Rating: P4

Good on Those Doing SIV/Maneuvers!!!

Postby jjhildebrand1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:42 am

Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone that is partaking in SIV and Emergency Maneuvers courses! Obviously, the courses are indispensable for our well-being. Good on you for taking the initiative and mastering your craft. For those who have life-constraints regarding time and costs, it's almost just as valuable to attend a clinic just to watch, listen, and soak in. You'd be surprised how much you can absorb from watching other pilots go through their runs while listening to the instructor on the radio. Don't rely on YouTube. An 8-hour drive to the SLC area will get you to some of the world's best SIV instructors. Make it happen!
, ) jake

scotts
USHPA Rating: P4

Re: Good on Those Doing SIV/Maneuvers!!!

Postby scotts » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:38 pm

I've also found that spending some hours benching up at POTM north side is a great way to get some serious practice time in on basic maneuvers under your wing. Its pretty easy and reliable to bench up to 6500 which gives you 1500' or so where you can practice wingovers, spirals, ears, ears+bar, even SAT if you want. After your run, bench right back up for another and repeat till the sun sets! evening windows seem to be from at least an hour up to 3+. Last trip out, I did this for 3 out of 4 evenings, and flew 3 different demo wings as well (Mentor 4, IOTA, and Chili 3).
Scott S.
P4; skywalk Chilli3S; Mesa, AZ of all places!
Get busy living!

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Re: Good on Those Doing SIV/Maneuvers!!!

Postby jj » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks. I thought I'd gain some good skills and it would be time and money well spent, but it was better than I expected. Got to do things like making the wing horseshoe and doing asymms and a frontal while on full bar. Hey, that is when something is going to happen, right! May as well find out what it feels and looks like, up close, not watching a video. I gained a great deal of wing handling skills and also realize better what skills I don't have. Totally agree on learning from watching others.

But in addition to learning a lot more than I expected, it was Fun.

Return to “Courses & Clinics”