Dumb moves this weekend

Rant, rave, complain, get it out here...
Steve Ford
USHPA Rating: H4, OB

Dumb moves this weekend

Postby Steve Ford » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 am

Dumb move #1: 3 H2 pilots decide Wolcott was the place to go on Sunday, 1 Nov 2015. Wolcott is *not* a high wind site, it has been advertised that it is not a high wind site..... It doesn't matter what wing you are on, topless or single surface, it is not a high wind site. Why? Because you land down in a hole with upwind obstructions that make the air near the ground extremely turbulent. And the air above ain't much better again due to upwind obstructions. Dumb! I can only hope the outcome was better than in Dumb move #2 below

Dumb move #2: a couple of (mini wing?) pilots decide to fly the north end of Green Mountain in mixing downslope with the biggest leni ever parked over the Front Range.....Look at still image below vid. Who is the guy packing up the wing? I don't recall seeing him or the woman with him before. Who in their right mind would even consider flying off Green in mixing downslope? And on the NW face of Green? Dumb! This one resulted in Flight for Life extraction.......

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/11/01/p ... -for-life/

Enough! Pull your heads out of your asses people!

SF
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .

— Antoine de St-Exupéry

Steve Ford
USHPA Rating: H4, OB

Re: Dumb moves this weekend

Postby Steve Ford » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:26 am

I learned that that H2's that were considering Wolcott on Sunday didn't fly and had sought advice from more than 1 pilot. One of our H3 pilots gave sound advice and I hope that is what tipped the scales. So Dumb move #1 averted.

'wish the folks involved in Dumb move #2 had sought advice before they ventured out......

I stand by my original closing statement.

SF
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .

— Antoine de St-Exupéry

KCAakhus
USHPA Rating: P3

Postby KCAakhus » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 am

Ditto on your 2nd observation.
I live just northeast of Green Mtn and can attest that there was very significant directional variance and huge gust differentials in the a.m. -- just what one would expect.
Can only guess that the pilots "didn't even know what they didn't know" about yesterday morning's Front Range weather picture.
Just a shame to unnecessarily learn the hard way.

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Postby jj » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:11 am

I don't know the details of Scenario #1, but if the H2s Did seek guidance from an experienced pilot familiar with that area and realized they shouldn't fly then I would say it wasn't a dumb move, and they didn't have their heads in a dark place. If they pro-actively checked their plans before heading out they should be commended for seeking qualified information before flying. If they waited until they were at launch to call a more experienced pilot, then the dumb move averted comment applies.

Regarding Scenario #2, completely agree. Ugggh!

I do take exception to the news accounts saying that they were "self taught". They weren't taught, they were guessing.

Benzie
USHPA Rating: P3

Postby Benzie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:19 pm

BENZIE
RMHPA Vice President
SPOT Tracking page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... KRTQlk6lM3

Return to “Banter”