for no fly days, Kart racing

Rant, rave, complain, get it out here...
jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

for no fly days, Kart racing

Postby jj » Fri May 23, 2014 10:50 pm

If its not flyable, this is another way to spend the day.
I really like this video perspective. This is a newer low cost kart racing class that is very straightforward with matched engines. So it requires a lot more driving skill, and is a blast to drive. Changed engines on my racing kart for this class and it is fun. Average speed around the track is 42 mph and this is a twisty, technical course. You only get up to 54 mph on the straight, but when racing this close you need to stay focused to keep it on the track. :D

davidhach
USHPA Rating: P4, T3

Re: for no fly days, Kart racing

Postby davidhach » Sat May 24, 2014 2:19 pm

What is this class of carts called?

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Re: for no fly days, Kart racing

Postby jj » Sun May 25, 2014 12:07 am

This class is called Local Option 206, or Briggs LO 206. Not as fast as the 125cc 2 cycle screamer engine I had for TAG class, but Briggs 206 is getting Very popular across the US. All engines are sealed and inexpensive (for a kart racing engine). They are 205cc four stroke engines. No mixing oil (or smelling 2 cycle exhaust while racing). Also the spec tires last an entire season, not just one or two races. Single speed, clutched and only rear brakes. Due to the lower cost, much lower maintenance and even playing field the class is really popular. 27 entries last weekend and I heard that the local kart shops have sold 4 or 5 more since that race. People are buying used kart frames cheap, throwing the engine package on and having fun. Given the weather lately at least you can do some racing on the track before the rain hits.

Its not soaring for hours over the Sangres or going XC to Wyoming from Lookout, but its fun if you like racing/competitive terrestrial activities every so often. Racing this close at 50+ mph 2 inches off the ground keeps you on your toes. I like the prior FPV video better than the slick production Briggs promo as it shows you more of a true racing at a local track perspective. Like HG or PG, there are lots of people strapping GoPros to their karts and posting videos.

Return to “Banter”