Motorcycling "Rainbow Trail" and other areas??

Rant, rave, complain, get it out here...
Zeph

Motorcycling "Rainbow Trail" and other areas??

Postby Zeph » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Seeing if any of the pilots on here are also familiar with some of the trails for use by dual sports. My brother and I are starting to plan a 2015 trip with motorcycles. 2014 is pretty much spoken for, with Flyweek being the main trip for me. I saw a bit of info on the Rainbow trail, and it looks like having street legal dual sports will be a good thing to interconnect. Any input would be great. Thanks.................Zeph

mchevalier
USHPA Rating: H4

Re: Motorcycling "Rainbow Trail" and other areas??

Postby mchevalier » Sat May 10, 2014 10:02 am

I've ridden on it bunch of times as I live in Salida. I've got a WR450F and WR250F, both street legal. The rainbow can be like threading a needle in places, a narrow trail on a steep slope. Parts of it are really nice for riding. But on the Rainbow, I've run into hostile tree hugger types that stopped me and bitched. I ride mostly old mining roads. The Whale Mtn and Bonanza area are excellent riding areas. I'll ride from home to Coaldale, over Hayden pass, through Villa Grove to Bonanza and back to Salida via the old Otto Mears toll road. Been over Marshall Pass and ridden in the Tomichi valley. Also ride in the moquitoe range, Four Mile area. Wellsville area and the power line road early and late season when there's snow higher up. At Texas Creek there's a nice area to ride but I haven't been to it yet. Maybe today.
Staring at it won't fix it. Beer won't either but sometimes the can is useful.

Zeph

Re: Motorcycling "Rainbow Trail" and other areas??

Postby Zeph » Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't looked under here for awhile, My brother and I both have street legal bikes. I have a DR 650, and he has a leagalized XR 650. Those sound like good ideas for rides. I'll get on google and try to find some of them. I'm fairly familiar with the Bonanza road, but haven't been much past Bonanza. It's gonna be hard to be out there without a wing, but....... This'll be a blast too. Thanks again. Zeph 515-918-0302

Return to “Banter”