BECOMING A GOOD PILOT

Rant, rave, complain, get it out here...
Kimberly Croy
USHPA Rating: H3

BECOMING A GOOD PILOT

Postby Kimberly Croy » Mon May 20, 2013 1:13 pm

I would like to share something that I have heard over and over again from many pilots that really rustled my feathers. “You are not a good pilot until you have 'this' many accidents”. I am aware that the experience and the learning is exponential when something happens but why is it that you need to have an accident (possible serious injury) to be considered a good pilot? It seems the opposite would imply a good pilot. I bring this up because I am genuinely curious as to the logic behind this mentality. I want to become a great pilot but I dont want injuring myself to be part of that equation. Is that attainable? I really hope so.

Ed Williams
USHPA Rating: P4

Re: BECOMING A GOOD PILOT

Postby Ed Williams » Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Kim,

My response might be like kicking a hornets nest, but I’ll just throw in my $0.02 anyway.

So the saying goes, there’s only two kinds of pilots: those who have crashed and those who will.

I personally don’t think that this has to be true. In fact, there is proof that it is not really true because there are a number of really experienced pilots who have never crashed and probably won’t. That being said, it would be ridiculous to think that you can completely eliminate all risk just by being a good pilot or a great pilot. Sure, you can reduce risk, but I think the really hard part to swallow is this: if you paraglide or hang glide, you can get hurt or killed. It is a really hard thing to accept. To ignore it or lie to yourself about it is bad.

Loopy
USHPA Rating: P4

Re: BECOMING A GOOD PILOT

Postby Loopy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Mod: Thread locked. Discussion is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4883
And remember: Don't cry for your Mommy on the radio!

Return to “Banter”