Makalu 3/as first wing?

A place to discuss the latest in technology, from gear to mobile apps to web sites and more.
nofootprints

Makalu 3/as first wing?

Postby nofootprints » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Thinking of buying my first wing...just finished licence.
Anybody familiar with this... I'd be interested in your thoughts
Makalu 3 - UP International
http://up-paragliders.com/en/products/p ... s/makalu-3

scotts
USHPA Rating: P4

Re: Makalu 3/as first wing?

Postby scotts » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:51 pm

I purchased my first new wing earlier this year, so spent plenty of time in research mode for EN A and EN B rated wings. I found the cert testing just about completely useless. As for EN A wings, no information for comparison- just "A" in all categories. For EN B, typically, they only get a "B" in accelerated asymmetric collapse, so again, not very useful for comparisons. The best attempt at subjective somewhat scientific comparisons I found was the DHV safety tests. The Makalu 3 was tested and got a very good review:

http://www.dhv.de/web/en/safety/safety- ... rs-part-2/

While you are at the link above, take a look at the rest of the reports, Parts 1 through 7. Plenty of EN A and EN B wings tested to compare.

My criteria was the safest possible wing that didn't compromise too much in stated performance. I narrowed it down to the Advance Alpha 5, and the Skywalk Mescal 4, and then took demo flights on both and ended up with the Skywalk, although the Advance I believe was pretty equal. I didn't get a chance to demo the Makalu, but I was definitely interested, and still am, after reading the DHV report. If at all possible, test drive first!

hope that helps some. good luck.
Scott
Scott S.
P4; skywalk Chilli3S; Mesa, AZ of all places!
Get busy living!

nofootprints

Postby nofootprints » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Ta

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Postby jj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:10 am

Suggest talking to your instructor first. They have the best knowledge of your abilities and what you are able to handle.

How was your rating, where did you get it and what is your flying experience?

There are plenty of good wings out there but I was advised to stay with a large wing maker as they tend to get better grades of fabric and popular wings tend to be easier to re-sell, especially first wings. Ozone Mojo 4 has good reviews and is pretty secure. I have a Buzz Z 4 and find it to be a great wing with good performance and a load of security.

Again, adivse talking to your instructor and finding a wing that many others fly and is popular os it will be easy to resell.

scotts

Postby scotts » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:12 am

Quotes from: part 3: http://www.dhv.de/web/fileadmin/user_up ... test_3.pdf

in Asymmetric collapse: "Mojo 4 and Koyot 2 change course to a greater degree and suffer more height loss than the
other test gliders."

In Front Collapse: "Ozones Mojo 4 opens first in the middle, but the ears stay closed with sink velocities of about 5 m/s for a period before recovering completely."

in spiral dive: "Relatively dynamic transition from entry to spiral, with rapid increase in sink rate and G-force. Exit relatively simple."

Buzz Z4 also had some qualities which I didn't want in for a safe/forgiving/well behaved first wing, however, if you are considering an EN B, I believe it is on par, if not better than most of the other B wings tested (although the Makalu got better marks all around, I think):
From part 6, spiral dive on Buzz Z4: "To exit, the glider required almost 100 height meters, as it remained in the spiral at -20m/s for a complete turn before slowing an pitching up."

There have been plenty of fatal accidents result from spiral dive, including several with the Gin Zulu which was one of the big reasons I was looking for a newer wing with more forgiving flight behavior in particular, in spirals.

Recommend you study the dhv safety reports carefully, but also, take them for what they're worth; not as absolute.
Also, when considering an EN A vs. EN B, consider the trade offs- what are you gaining with a "B" wing, vs. how much safety are you giving up? Flying around here is ACTIVE and often turbulent; therefore, collapses are more likely and expected. As a new pilot, you will be flying in the danger zone, closer to the ground more often. When you take a collapse close to the ground, you are going to want the most well behaved, easily self-recovering wing out there! my 2-cents...
Scott S.
P4; skywalk Chilli3S; Mesa, AZ of all places!
Get busy living!

jjhildebrand1

Postby jjhildebrand1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:06 am

Just remember with the DHV/certification reports that they report the reactive behavior of a wing, kinda' assuming the pilot falls asleep. They are not allowed to input for I think, what 3 seconds (not real-world since a pilot should be reacting before that, either wrongly or correctly). The important thing to note is that the DHV tests don't really show how resistant, or the inherent proactive stability, that a wing has. Some wings, within the same category, have a higher resistance to say collapses than others even though both might have the same reactions. Just some thoughts. Test as many as you can in a safe environment. Discuss with your instructor, as JJ said.
, ) jake

Return to “Tech Corner”