New reserve

A place to discuss the latest in technology, from gear to mobile apps to web sites and more.
Jeff B
USHPA Rating: P3

New reserve

Postby Jeff B » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Looking at getting a new reserve. Should one get it re-packed as a matter of course when purchasing a new one?

Loopy
USHPA Rating: P4

Re: New reserve

Postby Loopy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Ideally yes. If you are in a rush, at least take it out and make sure that all the unnecessary packaging has been removed. I have heard of cases where new reserves were installed into a harness while still packed into an outer container...
And remember: Don't cry for your Mommy on the radio!

Jeff B

Postby Jeff B » Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks, no rush.

Ed Williams
USHPA Rating: P4

Postby Ed Williams » Tue May 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Jeff,

Please consider a light weight reserve. Generally speaking, the light weight reserves open fast. Even better, since they are small, they are easier to pull out of the harness and throw and less likely to bind up inside the harness. Also, because they are so small, you can upgrade to a larger reserve and have a better sink rate. The down side is that the light weight reserves are expensive compared to regular reserves.

Jeff B

Postby Jeff B » Tue May 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Ed, you are reading my mind! Likely going with a Nervures Plum, 1.4 kg. Ya its pricey but the research I've done suggests the some of the best savings in weight come from reserve and harness.

Return to “Tech Corner”