First flight, for an eaglet

A place to post videos in our ever-increasingly documented world of free flight...
jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

First flight, for an eaglet

Postby jj » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:32 pm

First flight for Liberty (DC3) a 12 week old eaglet in the DC Arboretum. I've watched these eaglets from the day they were hatched. They grow up fast, learn to start hopping from branch to branch at about 10 weeks old, and then when they find the right conditions, they take their first flight out of the tree.

When I see this first flight it reminded me so much of a HG on launch. Feel the wind with your wing, check whats happening with the leaves on the left, then the right. Put the wing down, (we can't fold our wings back) then see another cycle coming in. Get the wing up, wait for it, then nose down, good strong launch (almost knocks its sibling off the branch) and soar up and above launch. Great first flight for this eaglet. Nice launch, and good pick on the cycle to launch into.

Of course Liberty has had lots of flights since then, and can fly better than any of us already, but it is fun to see a successful first flight when executed this well.

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Re: First flight, for an eaglet

Postby jj » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Pre-fledge eaglets having fun trying out their wings on a drizzly day. This makes me laugh. While I have no idea what this has to do with Strauss' Blue Danube waltz, it seems to be a good match. They just have to be having fun flying around the nest.

Return to “Videos”