Fires in NW CO and E UT

This is for the general discussion of free flight topics.
Steve Ford
USHPA Rating: H4, OB

Fires in NW CO and E UT

Postby Steve Ford » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:26 am

Public service announcement for those heading to Dino for the meet...........

A fire just east of Dinosaur and south of HWY 40 is up to 5000 acres. High winds yesterday forced closure of HWY40 but it is reopened for now....... high winds over the next several days may change road open/closed status. Check fire status here: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5242/

COtrip.org can be used for road closure info

Also be sure to check TFR's since firefighting activity may be ongoing.

There is another fire just west of Vernal.

There is another fire between Rifle and Meeker (1500 acres at this time).

Lets hope all involved in getting these things under control remain safe and are successful. MC told me that a firefighter was injured last week.

SF
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .

— Antoine de St-Exupéry

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Re: Fires in NW CO and E UT

Postby jj » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 pm

I was on launch at Dinosaur Sunday afternoon. There were no fires around and it was blowing straight in, at 30+ mph on launch. Nice cumies scattered about the sky too.

The fire West of Vernal had subsided Saturday evening. There were no apparent fires when driving back Dino Monday morning but the winds started getting even stronger. Mid-afternoon in Craig they were 30 from the SW but it had also cooled off somewhat. The combination of dryness, and high winds make the area prone to grass fires, especially if the temps are high.

Winds were strong from W-SW all weekend, ramping up by 10 to 11am. Monday started LNV, but changed to strong SW by mid day. Hope the winds calm down somewhat in time for the event.

Mark Windsheimer

Postby Mark Windsheimer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:02 am

that TFR is growing everyday along with that fire. They may end up with no place to fly to. Hope they get the fire contained so they can have a good meet,
Have Fun And Fly Safe
Mark

jj

TFR Fires in NW CO and E UT

Postby jj » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:13 pm

The TFR for the fire near Rangely extends to just a mile or so East of the Dinosaur Park entrance near the town of Dinosaur and goes East nearly to Massadona. The launch area is North and West of the TFR, but the TFR is only a short distance South of launch and covers an area to the East along route 40. The following link is a map of the TFR area.

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/reg/scale7/tile_20_28.html

Steve Ford

Postby Steve Ford » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Yup JJ, the TFR grew along with the fire yesterday (burning area increased from 5,000 to 17,000 acres in one day!). Good news is that they are gaining ground with 17,700 acres involved and 10% containment. Cause listed is "Human, under investigation......." That sucks!

There may be another mild wind event before the meet. The current TFR affects any courseline that includes the early course turnpoints that were used last year, even the sport class goals on several tasks last year.

My amateur interpretation of the GFS long term forecast suggests daily launch cycles at launch from the SSW beginning around 11am and going for 2-4 hour windows. Winds aloft are indicated to range from NW to WNW trending W by midweek then trending back toward NW as the week goes by. That means, during several days, a natural push toward the fire area when leaving the mountain as the cap breaks and the winds aloft begin mixing down. Quartering tailwind or cross wind legs will be first in a course as a result if the fire area and TFR are to be avoided.

Similarly, knowledge of the firefighting aircraft flight paths to and from the fire will be important...... those corridors are not included in the TFR.

The folks creating daily tasks have a tough job when coupled with the current TFR as a result of the winds aloft trends. Tasks will have to avoid the TFR and give the competitors bailouts along the courseline. Under the current TFR extents, I see likely starting courselines along the high escarpment well behind Blue Mountain with bail outs along the county road (kind of like we used to fly it back in the day). It may be a little slow going until the competitors get well ENE of Massadona (sp?) and each day must be flown with caution...... normally one cannot land in the Monument property either........... The knowledge of KG and others with similar experience flying the site will be really helpful to Jamie and Mitch.

Of course, all will depend upon the firefighters success and cooperative weather leading up to Sunday and beyond.

It is the perfect time of year to hold the comp there IMO. I do hope that it goes really well and am disappointed to see a wildfire nearby because it reduces the freedom to call daily courses. Crossing my fingers for successful control of the blaze!

SF

— Antoine de St-Exupéry

Steve Ford

Postby Steve Ford » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:24 pm

Update 28 minutes ago is listing 95% containment of the large fire near Dinosaur and 100% containment of the smaller fire near Meeker. The firefighters rock!

The weather over the next few days could be a little better with regard to heat, wind, humidity, and fuels....... the fire team is doing an amazing job given the conditions.

With luck the fire will have little impact on the meet!

SF

— Antoine de St-Exupéry

jj

Postby jj » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:50 am

They haven't lifted the TFR, and are probably not in any hurry to do so.

The Northern corners of the TFR are:
40º18'54"N 108º54'26"W VEL083027.2
40º18'10"N 108º39'28"W EKR278036.5

That is three miles South of 16 so the standard route heading East from launch is not impacted by the TFR. You just can't fly South or West of Moose Head Mountain, unless you are above 10,500ft. Once you get West of Massadona you are clear. The town of Dino is clear and so is the entrance to the park, East of town.

That shouldn't restrict the event much.

TFR lifted. No current flight restrictions noted in the area. Check out event progress on AirTribune. :P

Return to “General Discussion”