Cleon Biter - RIP

This is for the general discussion of free flight topics.
HangDiver
USHPA Rating: H4

Cleon Biter - RIP

Postby HangDiver » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Some of you who have been around for a long time may remember Cleon Biter, hang glider pilot and research meteorologist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. Unfortunately Cleon passed away at his home in Longmont last Friday, December 9th, at the age of 76. He was an active hang glider pilot through much of the 1980s. Along with Bob Ferris, Cleon built one of the first static-line towing rigs that he used to tow many of us up on the eastern plains. I remember him as a good friend, fellow colleague in the Boulder meteorological research community, and flying buddy.

RIP my friend.
Rich J.
Last edited by HangDiver on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Windsheimer

Re: Cleon Biter

Postby Mark Windsheimer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 pm

This is sad to hear Rich. Flew with Cleon a lot in the 80's, Also think I still have a VHS tape of a weather disscusion he gave to the club. It really sparke my intrest mor in the weather. The disscusion is still revelant to todays weather and our flying.

My thought and prayers go out to his family
Have Fun And Fly Safe
Mark

HangDiver

Postby HangDiver » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Cleon was a great friend and colleague....

Cleon Joseph Biter, 76, passed away Friday, December 9, 2016 at his home in Longmont. He was born April 27, 1940 in Dover, Delaware to Edward and Mary (Bolan) Biter. Cleon grew up and graduated from high school in Dover. He attended Parks College of St. Louis University earning a BS degree in Aeronautics in 1961 and continued his education with graduate courses in atmospheric science at Colorado State University. Cleon moved to Boulder, CO from Virginia in 1966 with his former wife, Suzanne Hart, and their three daughters, Audrey, Barbara, and Rebecca. On February 28, 1981 he married Toni Chapman. They lived in Longmont for 35 years, aside from a 10-year retreat in Apple Valley, Lyons, CO. Cleon was a research meteorologist with the U.S. Navy Weather Research Facility in Virginia for five years and then worked for the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder for 29 years, retiring in 1995. While at NCAR he received an Aviation Week and Space Technology Laurals Award and an NCAR Technology Advancement Award. After retiring from NCAR he continued his career as a consulting meteorologist from 1995-2009. Cleon was passionate about aviation. He earned his private pilot's license at the age of 17 and continued with his love of flying up to early November when he flew his last flight in his RANS S-19. He was a Master Certified Flight Instructor Emeritus, held numerous pilot ratings including land, sea, instrument, private and commercial and was a flight instructor for several years at Longmont's Vance Brand Airport as well as Mile High Gliding in Boulder. Over the years, he belonged to many professional aviation organizations and most recently was also a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter 43 having built his own experimental aircraft. A man of curiosity, he was always interested in learning new subjects and skills. He loved to read, especially science and aviation subjects. He enjoyed golf, target shooting, and was honing a new interest in building robotics. He was preceded in death by his parents, brother George Durney and sister Maryanne Craver. Cleon is survived by his wife Toni, three daughters Audrey Potter (Rick) of Australia, Barbara Kawczynski (Thomas) of Longmont, and Rebecca Biter, of Hawaii, step-son Paul Chapman (De) of Larkspur, CO, grandchildren Sandra and Katie Potter, Eric Kawczynski and Biven Chapman, brother Edward Biter (Wee), sister Isabel Gonya, and other extended family members. A celebration of his life will take place 11:00am Friday December 16, 2016 at Faith Community Lutheran Church, 9775 Ute Highway, Longmont, CO 80504. Cremation entrusted to Ahlberg Funeral Chapel and Crematory. Memorial contributions can be made to EAA Chapter 43 and sent in care of Ahlberg Funeral Chapel.
Last edited by HangDiver on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HangDiver

Postby HangDiver » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:01 pm

I could post a hundred stories about Cleons work at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) vs my work at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administrations (NOAA). Often NCAR and NOAA were in competition for research dollars and differing in our approach to atmospheric research. But Cleon and I, as hang gliding buddies, tried to bring our two respective agencies together. Our common bond was weather & hang gliding.

I'll miss our conversations, exchanges of scientific understanding, and most of all, hang gliding.

Rich J.
Last edited by HangDiver on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff B
USHPA Rating: P3

Re: Cleon Biter - RIP

Postby Jeff B » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:00 am

Sounds like a very interesting fellow. Sorry for the loss of your friend and colleague Rich. RIP

Return to “General Discussion”