RMHPA XC League (online xc contest for rmhpa members)

This is for the general discussion of free flight topics.
mudundar
USHPA Rating: P4

RMHPA XC League (online xc contest for rmhpa members)

Postby mudundar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:13 pm

http://www.leonardoxc.net/support/viewtopic.php?t=168

Why don't we have our own online xc contest this season? 30 pilots 5 euros per pilot would cover the cost and It would be fun&competitive.

Award could be the Golden Hammer.

Loopy

Postby Loopy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm in 8)

mudundar

Postby mudundar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Loopy wrote:I'm in 8)

You and BJ are not allowed to participate. We want it to be competitive :D

Come on everybody let do this!!

Participant list
1. Moops
2. Loopy
3. ????
4. ????

Mike Smith

Postby Mike Smith » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:23 pm

The RMHPA used to have an annual XC Contest. It had catagories by number of miles flown such as under 10 miles, 10- 50 miles, 50-100, etc. Best three flights for the season counted with monthly winners. Jim Yokum used to do a lot of work on it. It made it fun and fair for all pilots including those with limited XC experiance.

Mark Denzel
USHPA Rating: P4, T3

Postby Mark Denzel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 pm

that sounds like fun. Is there a way to handicap, like in golf. Maybe we could discount flights based on how many years a person has been flying. In loopy's case, he has been flying for 25 years, so we take 25 miles off all his flights.

sounds fair to me.
:wink:
markd
USHPA 41370

mudundar

Postby mudundar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:02 pm

It has been decided we are taking loopy down :D

This, years flown deduction thingy would work very nice for me but lets keep it simple. We can classify flights by wing rating. We should still have an overall list with all the participating pilots. Leonardo has a bunch of filtering options and it insanely easy to use. Well who else is in?

Time to push some buttons and have people sign up :D MR are you afraid that I would kick your ass :D :D we will have masters class and you are guaranteed to win :D

Kiernan

Postby Kiernan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:49 am

I'll give it a go, sounds like it will be fun.

I don't get why Loopy isn't in, there can be a way to handicap comp wings in the scoring? Can you do that through Leonardo?

tmeehan
USHPA Rating: T3, P4

Postby tmeehan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:05 am

We used to have a handicapping feature back in the day. Then there was once a plan to pair up a newer pilot with an older pilot and use an average of their scores for the comp.
USHGA member 58950

jj
USHPA Rating: H3, P2

Postby jj » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:59 pm

The pairing up of a new pilot with experienced pilot is what the Tenn. Tree toppers do for their big event in September. More points given for getting the new XC pilot to goal. If you plan on doing that I suggest using their system which seems to work well.

My concern would be where to do this. An event like this at Lookout could cause a day with multiple out landings and if that happens, it could put site access at risk. If we hold this in a less populated area where out landings would not cause issues (Villa, Williams, Western slope...) it could be fun with low risk to site access.

Mark Denzel
USHPA Rating: P4, T3

Postby Mark Denzel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm

JJ, I think Mootsy is proposing we track our normal XC flights and post them to the Leonardo web-site. This is more like a season long XC comp. Which by the way, could be open to Hangies as well. You guys could possibly give Loopy a run for his money. :)

BTW, I want to post my first XC flight of the season with a whopping 9.5mi XC south to Belleview Ave.
markd

USHPA 41370

mudundar

Postby mudundar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Updated participant list
1. Muzzi
2. Loopy
3. Marco
4. Kiernan

Anybody else?

HangDiver
USHPA Rating: H4

Postby HangDiver » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks Muzzi for getting this going!!

Greg

Sure

Postby Greg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Hey Muzzi, I'll take the bait. You can come out here to fly some the days. Cheers, Greg

mudundar

Postby mudundar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Greg, I will be there next flyable day unless LO looks epic the same day :D

Uploading flights from different parts of CO can give us a lot of useful info about the flying sites that we have never been.Its always nice to know where the house thermal and xc routes are! I am really happy that you want to do this.

I know there are plenty of pilots in our club that don't like me for some reason (Maybe I should stop kicking too many asses in the air :) ). I just want to make it clear that this XC league has nothing to do with me. I won't even be here for the awards ceremony/drinking party. Don't be shy just join and have fun with the rest of the guys. You can still keep your feelings about me :D

Updated participant list
1. Muzzi
2. Loopy
3. Marco
4. Kiernan
5. Greg
6. Casey
7. Benzie
8. Sam
9. Fred

BTW can somebody be the moderator of this new leonardo program? Preferably a computer geek. Or Can we add this to the responsibilities of the Webmaster. He can even be a part of the contest for freee !! Chris??

Here are the costs and plans. http://www.openhorizonweb.com/services.php I don't understand many things on that table I am sure Chris knows what they mean. 1 euro is more or less 1.4 dollars. Maybe this a better way to spend the club dues than a taco night at the bar.
Last edited by mudundar on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Benzie
USHPA Rating: P3

Postby Benzie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm in sounds like fun.
BENZIE
RMHPA Vice President
SPOT Tracking page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... KRTQlk6lM3

Return to “General Discussion”